Thursday, January 7, 2021

Transcript of talk of the Supreme Commander and the Head of the Joint Staff to the Commander of the forces of Reserve front

04.09.1941 03:50AM - 04:30AM

Zhukov.: at the device

Stalin, Shaposhnikov.: at the device. Hello. It appears that you plan to send forces to Smolensk direction for the elimination of Yelnya {enemy forces} as a result leaving Roslavly in its current unpleasant situation. I think that this operation you are planning must be executed only after the elimination of Roslavly {enemy forces}. And even better would be to wait with Smolensk operation and eliminate Roslavly together with Eremenko and then “sit on the tail” of Guderian by moving some divisions to the South. The most important is to defeat Guderian, but Smolensk will not walk away from us. Over.

Z.: I wish you health comrade Stalin. Comrade Stalin, I do not think about the Smolensk operation and am concerned that it is Timoshenko’s work. Strike 109, 149, 104 {seems like numbers on a map} I want to carry out right now to help the fastest elimination of Yelnya adversary group. When that is done, I will free up additional 7-8 divisions to relocate to the region of Pochinki. There, while defending from the Smolensk direction, I could carry out a powerful strike in the direction of Roslavly and to the West of it. That is to strike against Guderain’s rear.

As experience shows, performing a deep strike with 3-4 divisions leads to trouble because the enemy quickly surrounds these groups with its mobile units. That is why I asked your permission for such a maneuver. If you will order to strike towards Roslavly, then I can organize this measure. But there would be more use if I would eliminate Yelnya first. Today at the end of day, the right flank of our Yelnya group has occupied Sofiyevka. The enemy has only a 6 km wide opening so I think that tomorrow we will complete a tactical encirclement. Over.

S.: I’m worried about the terrain in the direction of Pochinki - there are forests and swamps and your tanks can get stuck there.

Z.: Reporting. The strike is planned through the Pogulyaevka, South of river Khmara along a good terrain, with exit towards Storino, Vasykovo, 30 km North West of Roslavly around 10 km South from Pochinki. Also it is a bad idea to strike along the previous route. A German soldier has moved to us and told us that during the night today the defeated 23rd infantry division was replaced by the 267 infantry division as well as he saw SS units in the area. Strike to the South is also better from the perspective that it will hit between the two divisions. Over.

S.: Do not overly trust the enemy POWs interrogate him and then shoot him. We do not object against your proposed manuever 10km South of Pochinki. You can act. Especially concentrate airstrikes against it and use RS also {Katyusha}. When do you plan to start?

Z.: I will finish regrouping until 7th. Preparation is on 7th and on 8th in the morning we strike. I beg you to support me with charges for the RS, 76mm shells and also 152mm shells year 09/30 and mortar mines 120mm. Also, if possible, one regiment of ILs {IL-2} and one regiment of Pe-2 and tanks, around 10 KVs and around 15 T-34s. These are all my requirements.Over.

S.: Unfortunately we currently don’t have any RS reserves. We will give them when we have them. You will get RS. Pity that Yeremenko will have to operate alone against Roslavly. Could you organize a push against Roslavly from the North East?

Z.: No comrade Stalin I have nothing to push with. Only separate units with some artillery support, but this will be a chilling blow while the main strike I will perform on the 8th in the morning. I will do my best. Perhaps I can do it on the morning of 7th. Yeremenko is still far from Roslavly and I think comrade Stalin that strike on 7th or 8th will not be too late. Over.

S.: And for how long will the glorified 211th division sleep?

Z.: Acknowledged. Will organize on the 7th. The 211th division is forming now and will be ready no earlier than 10th. I will pull it as a reserve, won’t allow it to fall asleep. I ask you to grant permission to arrest and to put under trial those alarmists and traitors I reported about. Over.

S.:Seventh is better than eighth. We agree and authorize to trial them as strictly as necessary. Over. Good bye.

Z.: Wish you health.

ЦАМО. Ф. 96а. Оа. 2011. Д. 5. Л. 68-70

No comments:

Post a Comment

Brief technical report about shaped charge rounds.

Approve Head of BTU GABTU RA Engineer-Colonel Afonin 15 November 1942 Approve Deputy Peoples Commissaar of the Tank i...