Friday, December 18, 2020

Transcript of phone conversation of deputy head of Joint Staff to deputy Supreme commander.

16.09.1942

Ivanov at the device.

Major-General Minyuk at the device. Hello.

Ivanov.: Com. Minyuk, please tell us where is army general comrade Zhukov right now?

Minyuk.: General Zhukov here.

Ivanov.: Bokov and Ivanov at the device. We ask to report to com. Zhukov, could he come tot he device for an urgent talk as ordered by com. Stalin.

M.: I will report him by phone right now and get back to you with the results.
I have reported him about your request. He ordered me to tell you that he cannot get to the device right now because he is busy, but he asked you to present your information. I will report him with this tape {telegraph tape} and he will answer.

Bokov, Ivanov.: Good. Asking to receive and immediately report to the army general and then pass me the response. I will wait at the device for the answer.
Highly important. To Army General comrade Zhukov, com. Malenkov.
To strengthen the defence of Stalingrad, according to the current situation, comrade Stalin asked me to tell you whether you consider it possible to urgently transfer to Stalingrad two rifle divisions from the left flank of the Stalingrad front. In return two divisions from Kamishino will be transferred.
Second. Com. Stalin asks to tell you that your plan is received and there are no objections about it.
Third. In the morning of 17th of September according to Stalin’s order Golovanov will fly out to you. Stalin asks to urgently tell him [Golovanov] where should he land. I ask to urgently report to the army general and pass me the answer. I will wait at the device.

M.: I’m off to report and will pass the response immediately.

M.: Transfering to com. Bokov, com. Ivanov.

Report to com. Stalin:
1.: 95th rifle division has been taken out from the composition of our group that was intended for offence by the General staff. 95th is unloading since 15.09 at Paromnaya. The 92nd rifle brigade has also been unloading there since 15.09. It was assigned to the North group of the Stalingrad front. Because of this our forces intended for the offensive are already weakened by one rifle division and one rifle brigade against the plan we reported to you. We got to know about those transfers only today from the head of VOSO Kovalyov.
2.: All units of the North group have either already taken their place in their battle order or are taking it this night.
Conclusion.: right now [removing] even one division will weaken our strike group and break our calculations and fast crushing of the enemy defence and the following connection to the Stalingrad forces.
3.: Taking divisions out of the combat order and transferring them elsewhere will take more time than directly transferring divisions from Kamishino to Stalingrad. Because of that we ask not to take divisions from the North group, but send divisions from Kamishino directly to Stalingrad.
4.: Golovanov must land at an airdrome near Vikhlyancev (near Kamishin) where he will be met.
Zhukov, Myalenkov.

Ivanov.: Com. Minyuk, I’m begging you:
First: under which number [order] when and who has said that 95 rifle division and 92 rifle brigade are incorporated into the Stalingrad front and are transferred there.
Second: who and when said you that those units will be transferred to you on 17th of September.This is extremely important to determine the real situation regarding those units. I ask you to find out. I will wait at the device.

Minyuk.: I will find out now, who and when issued the order of transferring those divisions to the North group of the Stalingrad front. For now I know for sure that those units were planned, but according to the ciphered telegram of com. Kovalev, they started unloading at Paromnaya on 15th and will finish on 18th. I will find out the rest now.
I was unable to find out everything about your question. After speaking to Ruhle and Kovalenko I found out that there was a notice about 5 units, but there were only 4 numbers mentioned. Those four arrived and the fifth one, that is the 95th [division] was expected.
I reported your question to Zhukov by phone. I was offered to find out about this in detail ath the Staff. So I will go to the Staff now and clarify this question in detail. After that will tell you. But keep in mind that it will be a difficult task, because the departments are separated and it will take time.

Ivanov.: I understand. I beg you, as soon as you find out, call me immediately.

Bokov.: Com. Stalin assigned personally to you that you must urgently ask army general Zhukov that he [Stalin] is waiting for Zhukov’s report about the situation at the front.

Nikishev.: I will present to him immediately. Com. Zhukov is here. I’m off to report to Zhukov.

ЦАМО. Ф. 96а. Оп. 2011. Д. 26. Л. 176—179. Копия.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Brief technical report about shaped charge rounds.

Approve Head of BTU GABTU RA Engineer-Colonel Afonin 15 November 1942 Approve Deputy Peoples Commissaar of the Tank i...